Verde Valley Bikes for Kids™ was selected to receive a $3,000 competitively awarded grant from the Arizona Community Foundation, Sedona.
In 2017, the VVCC Board approved the Verde Valley Bikes-for-Kids™ Program as part of a comprehensive response to a grant received by the Singletrack Futures Foundation that challenged the VVCC, among other things, to create actionable programs or plans focused on kids. Verde Valley Bikes-for-Kids™ focuses on giving kids residing in our local communities, especially those participating in the National School Lunch Program, access to bicycles, helmets, and active lifestyle encouragement.
In the 2017-2018 school year, the Verde Valley Bikes-for-Kids™
- helped create a mountain bike club at Cottonwood Elementary School,
- provided funds in support of West Sedona Elementary School's existing mountain bike club,
- distributed 12 new bikes to Cottonwood & Sedona students who exceeded standards for grades, attendance, comportment and citizenship,
- distributed 40 kids helmets at the Sedona Celebration of Spring, and
- provided a grant to the Sedona High School Mountain Bike Club's National Interscholastic Cycling Association (NICA) Team to defray coaches and students out-of-pocket expenditures at scheduled races. .
The ACF Sedona grant will be used to support the West Sedona Elementary School Bike Club and new bike awards at the Sedona annual Spring 2019 Bike Rodeo